Saturday, October 18, 2008

D. MARTYN LLOYD-JONES ON PERSEVERANCE

Martyn Lloyd-Jones was a Welsh pastor in London in the first half of the Twentieth Century. His books (which are basically just his sermons) have helped me to read the Bible better. I would recommend anything with his name on it.

In his sermons on Philippians he notes the following:

"Thank God, my hope of that day of Jesus Christ and his glory does not rest upon my own will power or upon my own desire or understanding. It rests upon this fact that he would never have started the work if he had not decided to finish it...What Paul means (in Rom. 5:10) is this: if Christ died for you when you were an enemy and a rebel and hated him, if he died for you in that condition, how much more, then, will God keep and sustain and hold you, and finish the work by the love of Christ--it is unanswerable logic. The character of God guarantees the completion of the work."

No comments: